September 7, 2007

Family

My grandmother had a massive stroke last Sunday/Monday and I flew down to Florida on Tuesday to see her and essentially say goodbye. She is in Hospice. I've never experienced losing someone so close to me and it has been emotionally draining. The stoke caused her to loose her ability to speak, swallow and eat; her entire right side of her body is paralyzed and she lost all of her bodily functions. She could open her eyes and see you and that was it. On Wednesday she opened her eyes a few times and you could tell that she knew you were there - she would try to smile and then sometimes she would look at you and she was not there at all.

I am so grateful that I was able to see her and I think she did know that I was there. Leaving Hospice and driving to the airport was so painful and sad. She died at 7:00 pm on September 7, 2007.



(Picture of Grama and Grampa on their Wedding Day in 1948;
Grampa died of lung cancer in 1993)



(Picture of Grama and Grampa on a trip to Hawaii sometime in 1990)